Clean Beauty and Sustainable Skin Care Made in Canada
Clean, sustainable cosmetics and skincare are not just about creating products that are better for individual consumers; it’s about addressing broader global challenges related to environmental degradation, health concerns, and social inequities. By supporting such initiatives, consumers can play a role in promoting a more sustainable and equitable world.
Clean and sustainable skincare is gaining prominence due to increasing awareness of environmental and health concerns. Sustainable skincare often emphasizes eco-friendly packaging, which can reduce the amount of plastic waste that ends up in landfills and oceans. These brands usually prioritize local sourcing and manufacturing, which can reduce the carbon footprint associated with transporting ingredients and finished products.
“Clean” skincare and cosmetic products often avoid ingredients that are known or suspected to be harmful to human health, such as micro-plastics, phthalates, and fragrances. The emphasis is on ingredient transparency, vegan and cruelty free, plant based, fair trade and other values. Clean and sustainable Canadian Beauty Brands are supported by conscious consumers looking for small batches, gluten free, plant based, exceptional quality and are willing to pay for it!
HOW CAN WE CHOOSE MORE ECO-CONSCIOUS MAKEUP?
To find tiny Canadian makeup brands focused on clean, natural, cruelty-free ingredients, and sustainability, you can follow these steps:
- Check out the list of sustainable beauty and wellness brands from Canada on Zero Waste Creative. The list includes 24 brands that offer eco-friendly and sustainable products, including makeup, skincare, haircare, and body care.
- Discover 36 must-try brands from Canada for your clean beauty needs on Clean Beauty Awards. The list includes 36 Canadian clean beauty brands that offer natural, organic, vegan, and cruelty-free makeup, skincare, and personal care products.
- Check out the list of 18 Canadian clean beauty brands on Good Earth Gifting. The list includes conscious Canadian brands that offer eco-cosmetics, including makeup, skincare, and personal care products.
- Explore the list of 7 Canadian clean beauty brands on Naturally Makayla. The list includes Canadian clean beauty brands that offer eco-friendly and sustainable products, including makeup, skincare, and personal care products.
- Check out the list of 4 high-performing Canadian natural, organic, vegan, and cruelty-free makeup brands on Portia-Ella. The list includes Canadian makeup brands that offer clean, natural, and sustainable makeup products.
- Read the article on Refinery29 that highlights 5 Canadian brands making truly great green beauty products. The list includes Canadian brands that offer clean, natural, and sustainable makeup, skincare, and personal care products.
Things to look for while shopping sustainable Canadian brands
Start with the details below when looking for a clean skin care brand that is sustainable and fully aligns with your values.
- Ingredients: Check if they use natural and safe ingredients. Many products market themselves as clean but use formadehyde leaking ingredients and other harsh chemicals and preservatives that can build up in the liver.
- Packaging: See if the packaging is eco-friendly or can be reused. Seaflora has their outer boxes printed with Soy ink so they are fully compostable which goes above and beyond!
- Made in Canada: Look for labels that say “Made in Canada.” If it just says “Filled in Canada,” or “Made for ____” it means the product was made somewhere else but put in its package in Canada.
- Reviews: Read what other people are saying about the brand. Third party apps like YUKA, Think Dirty, and INCI decoder can help you understand the ingredients quickly and easily.
- Certifications: Look for special badges or labels that show the brand is really clean and green.
Remember, it’s good to ask questions and learn more about where things come from!
There are more zero waste companies every day. For example Elate Cosmetics is a special Canadian makeup company. They care about the Earth, so they make products that are good for our planet. They use all natural ingredients and have eco-friendly packaging. Elate wants everyone to feel beautiful and be kind to nature at the same time. They believe in making makeup that’s safe and good for everyone.
Introduction to Clean Skincare
In the world of green beauty products and skincare, there’s a growing demand for products that are not only effective but also environmentally friendly and safe for our skin. Enter the realm of #cleanskincare.
What is Clean Skincare?
Clean skincare refers to cosmetics and skincare products that are free from harmful chemicals and toxins. These products are made without ingredients like parabens, phthalates, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, and other harmful chemicals that can irritate the skin and cause health problems. Clean skincare products are also environmentally friendly and safe for our skin. The clean beauty movement is a response to the beauty industry and growing concerns about the safety of cosmetics and skincare products.
The Rise of Sustainable Skincare
The movement is all about transparency and educating consumers about the ingredients in their products, demanding that manufacturers use safer ingredients in their products, and supporting brands that are committed to clean beauty. Clean skincare products are beneficial for our skin because they don’t irritate the skin, reduce our exposure to harmful chemicals, contain beneficial natural ingredients, and are better for sensitive skin. They also support sustainable practices, provide provenance and transparency, and avoid ingredients that can harm our skin and overall health.
Why Choose Clean and Sustainable Skincare?
Beyond the obvious health benefits, choosing clean and sustainable products means supporting brands that care about the planet and future generations. To make the switch to clean skincare, it is recommended to start with making the most important swaps first, such as what you use the most, and to work with a dermatologist to find the correct ingredients for your skin type and beauty goals.
Sustainable skincare products are created with ingredients that don’t harm the planet or people. They’re formulated with all natural and organic ingredients and produced from renewable and raw materials, both of which have less of an environmental impact than non-renewables do. Sustainable skincare keeps plastic, heavy metals, and toxic chemicals out of our waterways, soil, and atmosphere, preserving the well-being of our environment.
Canadian Clean Beauty Brands
Canada, with its rich natural resources and commitment to sustainability, has become a hub for clean and sustainable skincare brands. Naturally Makayla put a wonderful list of clean and sustainable skincare concerns make brands made in Canada.
Here are 20 clean and sustainable skincare and makeup brands made in Canada:
- Lowen’s Natural Skin
- Wild Jasmine
- Elate Cosmetics
- Green Beaver
- Tofino Soap Co
- PUUR INGRID
- Cocoon Apothecary
- Province Apothecary
- Love Fresh
- Leaves Of Trees
These brands are committed to using organic, fair-trade, and/or locally-sourced ingredients, and they are free from harmful chemicals and toxins. Environmentally friendly and safe for skin. They offer innovative solutions to the otherwise wasteful practices of the beauty industry. They are also committed to transparency and sustainability, and they aim to be the natural choice for those seeking high-quality skincare.
These brands are suitable for a wide range of skin tones and are predominantly vegan and cruelty free. Every ingredient is meticulously chosen, emphasizing the natural benefits they offer. These brands are proudly crafted in Canada. By choosing to shop from local Canadian brands, you are supporting small businesses and consciously formulate their products without the use of certain harmful chemicals.
Seaflora: Clean Sustainable Skincare Made in Canada
Among the many brands, Seaflora stands out as the most logical option for those seeking #cleansustainableskincaremadeincanada.
Seaflora is a Canadian skincare brand that is known for its commitment to sustainability and clean beauty. The company is a two-time EcoStar finalist and has been recognized as the North American Clean Beauty Industry Leader of the Year 2023. Seaflora’s manufacturing facility is designated as a bakery, which is a testament to the company’s commitment to using food-grade, organic, and natural ingredients in its products. Seaflora is also the first skincare line in the world to use raw, wild, organic seaweeds in its formulations.
Free from harmful chemicals and toxins, they manufacture sea to skin products that are environmentally friendly and safe for all skin types. Seaflora’s dedication to transparent sustainability is industry-leading among beauty brands worldwide. Seaflora stands alone in the industry, championing the mantra, “Healthy Choices = Healthy Planet.” What other brand harvests all their main ingredients steps from their manufacturing plant based in facility? Likely none!
The company is committed to protecting our coastlines and marine ecosystems, old growth forests, and wild salmon stocks for generations to come. A portion of each sale is donated to the Georgia Strait Alliance, The Ancient Forest Alliance and the Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society.
What Makes Seaflora Unique?
Seaflora isn’t just another skincare brand. It’s a testament to what happens when passion meets innovation. The founder, Diane Bernard, was almost 50 when she started Seaflora. It was on a visit to drop off fresh wild seaweed to an Executive Chef when the idea of seaweed skincare was bestowed onto her.
Edward Tuson showed Diane a Phytomer product that had seaweed in it. She took one look at the ingredient list and thought, “there’s little no seaweed in this product… I could do much better than this…”
Being married to a marine biologist, George Butcher and third generation seaweed harvester Diane Bernard got to work! They selected the best seaweeds and started homogenizing them with Carina Organics Skincare.
Hyper-Local and Super Sustainable Skincare Made in Canada
One of the standout features of Seaflora is its commitment to being hyper-local. This means sourcing ingredients as close to home as possible, offering an authentic sea to skin experience.
- The Sooke Advantage: Seaflora’s manufacturing facility in Sooke, British Columbia, is a testament to its commitment to hyper-local and sustainable zero waste, low carbon production.
- A Bakery for Skincare? Interestingly, Seaflora’s manufacturing facility is designated by the Sooke municipality as a bakery. Why? Because their products are of food-grade, all natural ingredients!
- The Significance of Food-Grade Skincare: Having food-grade skincare products means that the ingredients used are safe enough to eat. It’s a level of purity that few brands can boast.
- Verifying Seaflora’s Claims: You don’t just have to take our word for it. Tools like the YUKA app and other third-party verifiers confirm Seaflora’s claims.
- The Power of Seaweed: At the heart of Seaflora’s product range is the potent ingredient seaweed. Raw, fresh, wild, organic seaweed harvested from some of the cleanest oceans left on Earth.
- Why Seaweed? Seaweed is a powerhouse of nutrients, antioxidants, and minerals that are beneficial for the skin.
- Harvesting Seaweed Sustainably, by hand, only taking what is needed. Seaflora ensures that the seaweed they use is harvested in a way that doesn’t harm marine ecosystems.
- USDA Organic Certification: Beyond third-party tools, Seaflora also boasts a USDA organic certification, further solidifying its position as a leader in clean skincare.
- The Range of Seaflora Products: From moisturizers to exfoliants, Seaflora offers a comprehensive range of skincare products that have been trusted by leading spas and skin professionals for decades.
- Customer Testimonials: Countless customers have shared their positive experiences with Seaflora, highlighting its effectiveness and purity. They have a 4.9 star rating on Google and 5 stars on Facebook.
- The Environmental Impact: By supporting Seaflora, you’re also supporting a brand that prioritizes the environment at every step of its production process. A portion of each purchase is donated to the Ancient Forest Alliance, The Georgia Strait Alliance, and the Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society.
- Packaging Matters: Seaflora’s commitment to sustainability extends to its packaging, which is designed to be as eco-friendly as possible.
Are Essential Oils Ok?
Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts that can provide natural fragrance to skincare products without the use of synthetic fragrances. Many essential oils have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that can help soothe and calm the skin and fight bacteria and other harmful microorganisms. Essential oils are also nutrient-rich and can nourish and hydrate the skin. Clean beauty brands use essential oils because they are a natural alternative to synthetic ingredients that can be harmful to the skin and the environment. However, it’s important to note that essential oils can also cause skin irritation or allergic reactions in some people, so it’s essential to use them in moderation and with caution.
Cruelty Free Ingredients
While a brand may claim to be cruelty-free, it doesn’t necessarily mean that their suppliers don’t test on animals. To truly avoid animal testing, it’s important to choose brands that are transparent about their sourcing and manufacturing processes. One such brand is Seaflora, a Canadian skincare brand that offers clean, natural, cruelty-free, and sustainable skincare products. Seaflora’s products are formulated with natural ingredients, such as wild seaweed, and are free from toxic chemicals. The brand is committed to sustainability, using eco-friendly packaging and minimizing waste. Seaflora is also transparent about its sourcing, with all seaweeds sustainably hand-harvested steps away from the manufacturing facility on Vancouver Island. By choosing brands like Seaflora, consumers can prioritize their own health and the health of the planet while also supporting ethical and sustainable practices. Every Seaflora product comes with the promise of purity, effectiveness, and sustainability.
Where to Buy Seaflora Products
A guide on where you can get your hands on these coveted skincare brands and products. Seaflora products can be purchased from various authorized Seaflora partners, online, and spas that carry them. To find stockists, customers can use the following methods:
- Check the Seaflora website: Seaflora has a store locator on their website that lists authorized partners across Canada and the United States.
- Online shop: Customers can purchase Seaflora products directly from their online shop, which offers free samples with every order.
- Spas: Many high-end spas, such as Willow Stream at The Empress and other Fairmont Hotels, use Seaflora products. Customers can check with their local spas to see if they carry Seaflora products.
- Wholesale: Seaflora Skincare carries a selection of wholesale skincare products, bath & body products, haircare products, and more for stores. Customers can check Faire or contact Seaflora directly for more information.
The Ultimate Guide to Clean Beauty in Canada
In recent years, the beauty industry has seen a significant shift towards products that are not only good for our skin but also for our planet. As consumers become more eco-conscious, Canadian clean beauty brands are leading the way in offering products that are both effective and environmentally friendly.
The Rise of Canadian Green Beauty Brands
Canada is home to a plethora of green and sustainable beauty brand and products that prioritize the health of both the consumer and the environment. Brands like Lowen’s Natural Skincare and others have set the standard for what it means to be a truly Canadian brand that champions sustainable and green beauty everywhere.
What Makes Clean Beauty Different?
At the heart of the clean beauty movement are all-natural ingredients. Gone are the days of artificial fragrances and harmful additives. Instead, Canadian beauty brands are turning to essential oils, natural botanicals, and plant extracts to create products that cater to all skin types, including those with sensitive skin.
The Importance of Being Cruelty-Free
A significant aspect of clean beauty is ensuring products are vegan and cruelty free and-free. This means no animal testing, making many of these products vegan and cruelty free and-free. It’s a commitment to kindness and ethics, which many consumers now demand.
The Wellness Aspect
Beyond just beauty, there’s a growing trend of intertwining self-care and beauty rituals. Brands are not just offering makeup or skincare products; they’re promoting a wellness brand ethos. This includes beauty products that are gluten-free, plant-based, and even paraben-free.
The Shift Towards Sustainable Packaging and Lower Carbon Footprint
With the increasing awareness of our carbon footprint, brands are now focusing on sustainable packaging. This means less waste, more recyclable materials, and a significant reduction in environmental impact. This means less waste, more recyclable materials, and a significant reduction in environmental impact. Mastercard is one such example of a brand that is monitoring its carbon footprint. The credit card company has created a calculator that measures consumers’ carbon footprints based on what they purchase. The tool focuses on specific spending categories but doesn’t track individual transactions. Mastercard is also committed to environmental sustainability and manages its environmental footprint by building payment solutions on a sustainable foundation. Another example is Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, which is committed to reducing its carbon footprint by using renewable energy sources and reducing waste. By focusing on sustainable packaging and reducing their carbon footprint, brands can contribute to a healthier planet and a more sustainable future.
The Allure of Natural Skincare
Natural skincare is all about harnessing the power of nature. Ingredients like aloe vera, carrier oils, and botanical extracts are known for their skin-soothing properties. They promote skin health, leading to a radiant and healthy complexion without the use of harmful chemicals. Incorporating clean beauty products into your daily beauty routine is easier than ever. Start with a natural deodorant free from harmful ingredients, move on to a facial oil enriched with potent ingredients, and finish with some good for you makeup. The result? Radiant skin that feels as good as it looks.
The Best of British Columbia
British Columbia is not just known for its breathtaking landscapes but also for its commitment to green and clean beauty. Many brands source locally sourced ingredients, ensuring high quality and freshness. As we move forward, the demand for clean beauty brands, sustainable beauty products, and eco-conscious practices will only grow. Whether it’s body products made in small batches or natural deodorants that keep you fresh, the future looks bright for the clean beauty brand in Canada. The clean beauty movement is more than just a trend; it’s a lifestyle choice. By choosing high-quality products that prioritize both your skin health and the planet’s, you’re making a statement about the kind of world you want to live in.
The Beauty Industry Is A Dirty Business
The beauty industry is a significant contributor to waste and pollution. Here are some statistics on waste in the beauty industry:
- The salon industry in the US and Canada generates 877 pounds of waste per minute, with hair clippings and metals being the most significant contributors.
- According to Zero Waste Week data, the global disposal of cosmetics packaging and containers accounts for up to 70% of the whole.
- It’s estimated that the global beauty industry produces more than 120 million units of packaging each year, and packaging accounts for 70% of the industry’s waste
- Only about 9% of plastics actually get recycled, according to the EPA.
- Between 20 and 40% of beauty products, depending on the category, end up as waste.
- Beauty packaging amounts to 120 billion units every year, including plastic, paper, glass, and metals, all of which end up in landfills year after year.
Are Clean Cosmetic Products Really Clean?
The term “clean” in the beauty industry is not regulated, and there is no formal definition of what constitutes a clean cosmetic product. However, many brands use the term to describe products that are made with natural, organic, and non-toxic ingredients, and that are free from certain harmful chemicals. While some clean beauty products may be genuinely clean, others may not be as clean as they claim to be. Here are some factors to consider when evaluating the cleanliness of cosmetic products:
- Ingredient transparency: Look for products that list all of their ingredients, and avoid products that use vague or misleading terms like “fragrance” or “parfum.”
- Certifications: Look for products that have been certified by reputable organizations like the Environmental Working Group (EWG), Leaping Bunny, or the USDA Organic seal.
- Packaging: Look for products that use eco-friendly and sustainable packaging, such as glass, metal, or paper, and avoid products that use excessive plastic packaging.
- Brand reputation: Research the brand’s reputation and values, and look for brands that prioritize sustainability, transparency, and ethical practices.
Which Country’s Skincare Products Are The Best?
When it comes to skincare products, there is no one country that produces the best products. However, France, Hungary, and Canada are known for their high-quality skincare products. Japan, the United States, and France (in that order) are the top three countries that produce the highest quality beauty products. Consumers are willing to pay more for high-quality skin care and makeup, so these countries offer some of the best options on the market.
5 Reasons Canadian Clean Beauty Brands Might Be the Best
Canada’s skincare industry is known for its unique character and values that set it apart from other countries. Here are five reasons why Canada’s skincare might be the best:
- Deep ties to Indigenous culture: Many Canadian skincare brands incorporate traditional Indigenous ingredients and practices into their products, such as cedar, sweetgrass, and sage. This not only supports Indigenous communities but also offers unique benefits to the skin.
- Clean oceans and lakes: Canada is home to some of the world’s cleanest oceans and lakes, which provide a rich source of natural ingredients for skincare products. Brands that source their ingredients from these pristine waters can offer products that are free from pollutants and toxins.
- Healthy forests: Canada’s vast forests provide a wealth of natural ingredients for skincare products, such as pine, spruce, and birch. These ingredients are known for their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, making them ideal for skincare.
- Sustainability: Canadian skincare brands are often committed to sustainability, using eco-friendly packaging and minimizing waste. This reflects the country’s values of environmental stewardship and responsible consumption.
- Inclusivity: Canadian skincare brands are often inclusive and cater to a diverse range of skin types and concerns. This reflects the country’s values of diversity and inclusivity.