How to get glowing skin: 11 tips for diet, skin care, and more
Healthy skin radiates a natural glow. Various factors can influence the luminosity and condition of the skin. Achieving that coveted glow often requires the right skincare regimen. Everyone desires glowing skin, viewing it as a sign of health and vitality. Some pursue this radiant look for its aesthetic appeal, while others see it as a reflection of their overall well-being. How can one enhance their skin’s healthy glow? Adopting a balanced diet and making lifestyle modifications can significantly improve the skin’s glow and health. Additionally, there are myriad cosmetic products in the market specifically designed to bestow that sought-after glow.
How can my face glow, naturally?
To achieve glowing skin, top skin experts around the world recommend various tips and products. Here are some quotes and suggestions from renowned dermatologists, aestheticians, and other skin care professionals:
- Dr. Shari Sperling, a board-certified dermatologist and founder of Sperling Dermatology, emphasizes the importance of sun protection.
- Dr. Ava Shamban, a board-certified dermatologist, says that anyone can achieve glowing skin: “It is absolutely a myth that only those blessed with beautiful skin can have [glowing skin]”
- Dr. Mona Gohara, a board-certified dermatologist, explains that glowing skin is a well-hydrated, super moisturized complexion with just the right touch of natural oil: “Yes, the oils on your face make you glow too, it’s not just the lotion in a bottle”
- Joshua Zeichner, MD, Director of Cosmetic and Clinical Research at Mount Sinai Hospital’s Department of Dermatology, recommends staying hydrated, getting enough sleep, and managing stress for a better complexion: “Cortisol levels go up when you’re feeling stressed, which kicks in a fight or flight response, interfering with your skin’s natural barrier and contributing to dryness, acne or worse.”
Get Glowing Skin Eating Healthy Fats
Did you know that most vitamins are oil soluble? Getting healthy fats in your diet is good for the skin for several reasons:
- Moisturizes the skin: Healthy fats, such as those found in avocados, nuts, and fatty fish, can help keep the skin moisturized and flexible.
- Reduces inflammation: Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fatty fish, walnuts, and flaxseeds, can help reduce inflammation in the body, which can lead to healthier skin
- Protects against sun damage: Some studies suggest that consuming healthy fats can help protect the skin against sun damage
- Builds healthy cell membranes: Essential fatty acids, such as omega-3s and omega-6s, are building blocks of healthy cell membranes. These polyunsaturated fats also help produce the skin’s natural oil barrier, which is critical in keeping skin hydrated, plumper, and younger-looking.
- Provides essential nutrients: Healthy fats are a good source of essential nutrients, such as vitamin E, which supports skin health.
A Healthy Skin Barrier Helps Prevent Skin Cancer
The skin is the body’s largest organ and its outer layer serves as the primary barrier between our internal systems and the external environment. This barrier has several functions: Protection, hydration blood circulation, immunity and UV radiation defense.
When the skin barrier is healthy and intact:
- It can more effectively reflect or absorb UV radiation, reducing the amount that penetrates the deeper layers of the skin. Chronic UV exposure is a significant risk factor for various types of skin cancer, including melanoma, basal cell carcinoma, and squamous cell carcinoma.
- It maintains a balanced environment, supporting the function of cells that repair DNA damage. If DNA damage in skin cells isn’t repaired and those cells replicate, it can lead to skin cancer.
- It prevents pathogens and harmful chemicals from entering the body. Some of these can increase the risk of cancer if they penetrate the skin and cause cellular damage.
Antioxidants For Longevity
Incorporating antioxidant-rich skincare product like Seaweed Body Gel into a skincare routine can be a holistic approach to maintaining healthy skin health and appearance. However, it’s essential to combine it with other skincare practices, such as using sunscreen, maintaining a balanced and healthy diet throughout, and staying hydrated, to maximize dermal longevity and achieve the best results.
Wash Your Face with a Gentle Cleanser
Seaflora’s gentle cleansers are tailored for every skin type, ensuring a refreshed and radiant complexion. It’s essential to keep your face free from dirt and debris that can lead to blocked pores and irritation by exfoliating a couple times a week in addition to daily cleansing.
Dr. Gohar emphasizes the importance of choosing the right cleanser, especially for those with acne-prone or dry skin. “Using harsh cleansing agents can exacerbate skin dryness and irritation,” notes skincare therapist. With Seaflora’s range of gentle cleansers, you can cleanse dry skin effectively without compromising your skin’s natural moisture balance.
Everything You Need To Know About Vitamin C
Protecting your skin from external aggressors is crucial for maintaining its health and youthful appearance. One of the most effective ways to protect your skin is by using topical vitamin C. This powerful antioxidant not only combats free radicals but also shields the skin from the harmful effects of UV rays and pollution. But what exactly are these free radicals? Think of them as unstable molecules, often produced by ultraviolet sunlight or pollution.
These molecules, sometimes referred to as photons, lose their electrons, leading to potential damage to dead cells and to the skin’s DNA proteins. Such damage can accelerate premature skin aging. Vitamin C steps in by donating electrons to these unstable molecules, neutralizing them and preventing them from causing harm to sensitive skin. Moreover, the acidic nature of vitamin C plays a pivotal role in promoting collagen production, further enhancing its ability to protect your skin and keep it firm.
Vitamin C is a versatile and effective skincare ingredient with a range of benefits. If you’re considering adding it to your routine, it’s essential to choose a product that’s well-formulated and stored in dark, airtight packaging to ensure the vitamin C remains stable and effective.
There are several forms of vitamin C used in skincare products. L-ascorbic acid is the most potent form, but it’s also the most unstable, meaning it can degrade quickly when exposed to air and light. Other forms like magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, ascorbyl palmitate, and sodium ascorbyl phosphate are more stable but might be less potent.
Add vitamin C to your routine
When it comes to achieving radiant skin, Vitamin C Serum stands out prominently. Consult any skin expert, and they’ll likely highlight the transformative power of Vitamin C Serum.
Not only does it bestow a luminous glow on oily skin, but it also combats skin damage by diminishing dark circles, dullness, and uneven skin tone. Curious about my top picks? Check out my list of favorite Vitamin C Serums:
Have you heard of Seaflora’s Vitamin C Serums? If not, you might want to delve deeper. A testament to its efficacy, thousands of women in Taiwan vouch for the Potent Seaweed Vitamin C serum. It’s the kind of gift you’d want to give everyone: Seaflora – Sea Therapy – Hydrating Vitamin C Serum with pacific red algae, aloe, hyaluronic acid, ascorbic acid, magnesium phosphate, Vitamin C esters, malic acid, berry extracts and CoQ10.
Seaflora’s Vitamin C Serum
Let’s take a deeper look at the main ingredients in Seaflora’s Vitamin C serums:
- Pacific Red Algae: Seaflora’s main ingredient in serumsHydration: Helps to moisturize the skin by retaining water.Minerals: Contains a wealth of minerals that can nourish and rejuvenate the skin.
- Pacific Giant Kelp: Seaflora’s main ingredient in serumsIodine: Kelp is a natural source of iodine, which is essential for thyroid function.Vitamins and Minerals: Contains vitamins A, B1, B2, C, D, and E, as well as minerals like zinc, magnesium, iron, potassium, copper, and calcium.Skin Barrier Health: The polysaccharides in kelp can feed beneficial bacteria on the skin, supporting a healthy skin microbiome.
- Aloe: In every Seaflora SerumSoothing: Known for its calming properties, especially for sunburned or irritated skin.Hydration: Helps to moisturize and hydrate the skin.Anti-inflammatory: Reduces skin inflammation.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Moisturization: Can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water, making it a top ingredient for hydration.Plumping: Helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by plumping the skin.
- Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C):Antioxidant: Protects the skin from free radicals and environmental damage.Brightening: Helps to fade pigmentation, reduce redness, and improve overall skin tone.Collagen Production: Promotes collagen synthesis, which is essential for skin elasticity.
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C):Energy Production: Plays a role in cellular energy production, which can support skin health.Brightening Effect: Reduces pigmentation in the skin and acts as natural photo-protection.Collagen: Improves collagen synthesis and collagen production naturally.
- Vitamin C Esters:Stability: Often more stable than pure ascorbic acid, ensuring longer shelf life and efficacy.Antioxidant: Offers similar benefits to ascorbic acid, including protection against free radicals. This prevents premature aging and visible signs of aging.
- Malic Acid: Natural AHAs from B.C. radishes and applesExfoliation: An alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that helps exfoliate dead skin cells, promoting a smoother texture.Skin Renewal: Encourages skin cell turnover, leading to a brighter complexion.
- Berry Extracts:Antioxidants: Berries are rich in antioxidants that protect the skin from free radicals and improve skin texture.Vitamins: Provide essential vitamins that nourish and rejuvenate the skin.
- CoQ10 (Coenzyme Q10):Energy Production: Vital for cellular energy production.Antioxidant: Protects the skin from oxidative stress and aging.Reduces Wrinkles: Helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
It’s no wonder this small brand is constantly being showered with awards from Spa Industry and Skin focused magazines around the world. Voted Top Spa Partner of Canada 3 times in 5 years, Aesthetician’s Choice in Dermascope Magazine, EcoStar finalist for being the Greenest retailer, and voted 2023’s Best Seaweed Skincare Brand of North America by LuxLife Magazine.
Learn your skin type
To truly benefit from any skin treatment, it’s crucial to learn your skin type. Is your skin oily, dry, or combination? Dive deep into research or consult a dermatologist to understand your unique skin type. By knowing and emphasizing your skin type, you can precisely choose creams, washes, and masks tailored to address specific concerns.
Every skin type benefits from a gentle facial cleanser. Choose a cleanser that will act as the perfect cornerstone for your facial routine for glowing skin all year round. Achieve glowing skin easily by filling out Seaflora’s skin quiz and letting a professional aesthetician make custom recommendations for you.
Sea Enhanced Witch Hazel Alcohol-Free Hydrating Toner
Try Sea Splash Toning Essence for a glowing complexion. This facial toner was designed to clarify, hydrate, and balance the skin, while also brightening it and preparing it for other skincare products. It is made with a proprietary blend of nutrient rich seaweed, as well as aloe vera, non-alcoholic witch hazel, and magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (Vitamin C).
Made with all natural high quality ingredients. Leaves the skin feeling supple, soft, and refreshed. Award winning toning essence that prides itself on being vegan, organic, nonGMO, and highly effective. Dark spots can be improved naturally and glowing skin achieved with Seaflora’s seaweed rich skincare products.
Apply Your Skincare in the Right Order
The order in which you apply your skincare products is important because it can impact the efficacy of the products and how well they work on your skin.
- Cleanse: Cleansing is always the first step in a skincare routine because it removes dirt, oil, and makeup from the skin, which can help the other products penetrate more effectively.
- Tone: Apply a toner to balance your skin’s pH levels and prepare it for the next steps.
- Serum: Serums are typically lightweight and contain active ingredients that target specific skin concerns, such as hydration, brightening, or anti-aging. Applying a serum after toning can help it penetrate more deeply into the skin.
- Eye cream: Eye creams are designed to hydrate and protect the delicate skin around the eyes. Applying eye cream before moisturizer can help it absorb more effectively.
- Moisturizer: Moisturizer helps to hydrate and protect the skin, and can also help to lock in the benefits of the other products in the routine.
Fall Skincare Routine
As the weather changes, it’s important to adjust your skincare routine to keep your skin healthy and hydrated. Here are some tips from dermatologists and skincare experts on how to create the perfect fall skincare routine:
- Switch to a gentle cleanser that won’t strip your skin of its natural oils.
- As the air gets drier, you may need to exfoliate less often to avoid irritating your skin.
- Look for toners and serums that contain hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid to help keep your skin moisturized.
- As the weather gets colder, switch to a richer moisturizer to help lock in moisture and protect your skin from the elements.
- The delicate skin around your eyes can be especially prone to dryness in the fall, so consider adding an eye cream to your routine.
- Adding moisture to the air with a humidifier can help prevent dry, itchy skin.
- Cooler weather can also lead to dry, itchy skin on your body, so consider switching to a thicker body lotion to help keep your skin moisturized.
- Vitamin C can help brighten your skin and protect it from environmental stressors, so consider adding a vitamin C serum to your routine.
- A professional facial can help address any skin concerns you may have and give your skin a boost of hydration.
The perfect fall skincare routine should focus on hydrating and protecting your skin from the dry, cool weather. By making a few simple tweaks to your own skin care routine now, you can help keep your skin healthy and glowing all season long.
Calm + Restore Sea Inspired Hydrating Face Serum
Sea Therapy Hydration Treatment is a hydrating serum offered by Seaflora that is formulated with red algae, hyaluronic acid, and vitamin C to lock in hydration and smooth out wrinkles. Here are some key features of the serum:
Red algae: The serum is formulated with red algae, which is rich in antioxidants and helps to protect the the skin cells from environmental stressors.
Hyaluronic acid: The serum contains hyaluronic acid, which helps to hydrate and plump the skin.
Vitamin C: The serum also contains vitamin C, which helps to brighten the complexion of dull skin and prevent hyperpigmentation skin dry it.
Anti-aging benefits: The serum is designed to help smooth skin ages keep out fine lines and wrinkles and promote elasticity for a more youthful appearance.
Ready for a Toner that Actually Does Something?
Customers have praised the Sea Splash Toning Essence for its ability to brighten and rejuvenate the skin, as well as its natural ingredients. A review on eCosmetics.com describes Sea Splash Toning Essence as a “gateway to a radiant complexion” and praises its ability to refine pores and minimize the appearance of fine lines.
Sea Splash Toning Essence is formulated with natural marine-based ingredients that work together to clarify, hydrate, and balance the skin, while also brightening it and preparing it for other skincare products.
Here are the key ingredients in Sea Splash Toning Essence:
- Organic Nereocystis Luetkeana Seaweed: This seaweed extract is rich in vitamins and minerals and helps to nourish and hydrate the skin.
- Witch Hazel (non-alcoholic): Witch hazel is a natural astringent that helps to tone and tighten the skin.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is a soothing and hydrating ingredient that helps to calm the skin.
- Vitamin C (magnesium ascorbyl phosphate): Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps to brighten the skin and boost collagen production.
Hydrate Skin From the Inside Out
Hydrating your skin from the inside out involves making lifestyle changes and incorporating healthy habits into your daily routine. By drinking enough water, eating skin-friendly foods, and using natural moisturizers, you can help keep your skin hydrated and healthy.
Up Your Face Mask Game
As we age, our skin changes and requires more targeted care. Face masks can be a great way to address specific serious skin conditions and concerns and take your skincare routine to the next level. Here are some of the best face masks for serious skin conditions for people in their 40s, according to skincare experts and reviews:
Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask: This sheet mask that is formulated with natural ingredients like pink clay and pomegranate enzymes to exfoliate and brighten the skin
Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial: This mask contains a blend of AHAs and BHAs to exfoliate and resurface the skin’s surface further, leaving it smoother and brighter
Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask: This mask is formulated with nourishing ingredients like chestnut extract and vitamin C to hydrate and brighten the skin
Seaflora Iridaea BioActive Facial Masque: This mask is formulated with white algae and clay to detoxify and brighten the skin, while also providing hydration
Herbivore Blue Tansy Resurfacing Clarity Mask: This mask contains blue tansy oil and white willow bark to soothe and clarify the skin, while also providing gentle exfoliation
These face masks are designed to address specific skin concerns and provide targeted care for people in their 40s. By incorporating one of these masks into your skincare routine, you can help keep your skin looking healthy and youthful.
Eat Up All the Antioxidants You Can
Comparing the antioxidant content of different foods can be complex because the type and amount of antioxidants can vary widely based on several factors, including the variety of the food, growing conditions, preparation methods, and more. While kale and broccoli are often highlighted in Western nutrition discussions due to their widespread consumption and recognized health benefits, it’s essential to acknowledge the rich diversity of antioxidant-rich foods from around the world, including kelp and dragon fruit.
In a balanced and healthy diet however, it’s beneficial to include a wide variety of foods to ensure a comprehensive intake of different antioxidants and other nutrients. Here is a great list of antioxidant rich foods:
- Chaga Mushrooms: As you mentioned, chaga mushrooms are often touted as one of the highest sources of antioxidants. They have been used in traditional medicine for centuries, especially in Siberia and other parts of Asia.
- Acai Berries: Native to the rainforests of South America, acai berries are indeed packed with antioxidants, especially anthocyanins, which give them their deep purple color.
- Goji Berries: These bright red berries are native to Asia and are rich in vitamins, amino acids, and antioxidants.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are among the fruits with the highest antioxidant levels. They are particularly rich in vitamin C and flavonoids.
- Dark Chocolate: High-quality dark chocolate with a high cocoa content is rich in flavonoids and other antioxidants.
- Pecans: These nuts are not only delicious but also packed with antioxidants.
- Artichokes: Especially when boiled, artichokes are high in antioxidants.
- Kelp/Seaweed: Indeed rich in antioxidants, including vitamins A, C, E, and K. They also contain a variety of beneficial minerals and trace elements due to their marine origin. Kelp has been studied for its potential to combat oxidative stress and inflammation. In some cultures, especially in East Asia, kelp and other seaweeds are dietary staples and are recognized for their health benefits.
- Dragon Fruit (Pitaya): Dragon fruit, especially the red-fleshed variety, is a good source of antioxidants. It contains vitamin C, betalains, and carotenoids, which contribute to its antioxidant properties. The seeds of dragon fruit are also rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids and have antioxidant potential.
Glowing Skin with Hyaluronic Acid
The Seaflora product best known for delivering glowing skin is the Potent Sea Kelp Exfoliator. This exfoliator is a blend of 3 types of Vitamin C and 5 hand-harvested kelps, fortified with the purest marine mud and kaolin clay. It doubles as a radiant skin re-polishing exfoliator, gently buffing away dead skin cells and revealing a radiant, fresh layer of skin beneath. The product is also infused with the hydrating benefits of vegetable glycerine and aloe vera, leaving the skin supple and glowing.
Sea Therapy Hydration Treatment is a product that contains hyaluronic acid, red algae, and vitamin C, which can help boost your glow and improve the appearance of your skin
Here are some ways that the product could help:
- Deep hydration: Sea Therapy Hydration Treatment is designed to hydrate deeply and replenish your skin’s moisture levels. Hyaluronic acid is a powerful humectant that can attract and retain water, helping to plump up your glowing skin.
- Collagen synthesis: The product also contains ingredients that can help boost collagen synthesis, which is important for maintaining the elasticity and firmness of your skin. Red algae, for example, has been shown to stimulate collagen production
- Brightening: Sea Therapy Hydration Treatment contains three types of vitamin C, which can help to naturally illuminate your skin tone and prevent hyperpigmentation. This can help to give your skin a brighter, more even appearance
- Anti-aging: The product is designed to be an ally against signs of aging, helping to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles and promote elasticity. It also contains antioxidants that can help to protect your skin from environmental stressors.
Everyone’s skin is different, and achieving glowing skin is absolutely possible no matter your skin tone. Getting enough sleep, protecting from free radical damage and uv light are all simple tricks to achieve a glowing complexion year round!